- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 4 people
- Posted by
- Posted on
- September 15, 2015
- Chickpea Flour (Besan) – 6 Tbsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp, divided
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp (divided)
- Onions – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 6 cloves, finely chopped
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Roasted Cumin/Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes – 2 medium, chopped
- Cilantro (Coriander) – 5 sprigs, finely chopped
- Water – 2 cups
- Lime/Lemon Juice – 1 Tbsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
Step1 : In a medium pan, heat 1 tbsp (of the 2 tbsp) Oil.
Step2 : Add in the Chickpea Flour and roast till it gets a wonderful aroma.
Step3 : Remove from flame and transfer to another bowl.
Step4 : In the same pan, heat the balance of the Oil (1 tbsp).
Step5 : Once hot, add Mustard Seeds, allow them to pop.
Step6 : Add in Cumin Seeds and let them splutter.
Step7 : Add in Asafoetida (1/8th tsp), Curry Leaves, Onions, Garlic and Green Chillies, in that order and mix well.
Step8 : Cook till the Onions are translucent.
Step9 : Lower heat and add in dry spices – Roasted Cumin and Coriander powder, Red Chilli Powder and Turmeric Powder.
Step10:Cook them for a minute.
step11:Add in the roasted Chickpea Flour, cook for 2 minutes
step12:Add in Tomatoes, Cilantro and Water (little at a time).
step13. Mix well so there are no lumps and it forms a gravy.
step14. Add in Salt and Lime/Lemon Juice to taste.
step15. Allow it to come to a boil.
step16. Add in the balance of the Asafoetida and mix well.
step17. Serve hot with Chapatis, Bhakri or Bajra Roti.