- Cooking time
- 60 mins
- 6 people
- Posted by
- Posted on
- September 14, 2015
- 2 cup chickpeas (channas)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3-4 cloves (laung)
- 1 tsp whole pepper corns (sabut kali mirch)
- 3 green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 2 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (zeera powder)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 green chili (chopped)
- 1 tea bag
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups maida (refined flour)
- 1/2 tsp yeast, dissolved for 10 minutes in luke warm water
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- A pinch of salt
- Water to knead
- Oil for frying
Step1: In a pan add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole pepper corns, green and black cardamom.
Step2: After it gets brown add chopped onions and saute it.
Step3: After sauteing add chopped ginger and garlic.
Step4: Then add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, asafoetida, salt and fry well.
Step5: For de glazing the pan add little water. Now add the chole (soaked overnight and pressure cooked) to the masala.
Step 7: After stirring well add tomatoes, little sugar and salt to the chole (chickpeas).Now add ajwain, chopped green chilies and water for the base.To get the color in the chole, add a tea bag to the masala.
Step8 : Simmer the chole gently for an hour and cover it.Add lime juice and a dollop of butter to it.
Step9: Garnish the chole with coriander and butter. Serve the chole hot with bhaturas
Step1 : Knead the whole wheat flour, maida and salt together with adequate amount of water.
Step2: Sprinkle the yeast on top. Leave it for 2-3 hours for the yeast to work.
Step3: Divide it into equal portions. Roll out in an oval or round shape.
Step4: Deep fry till golden brown, like a puri.